Important system folders and files are hidden from the eye of the user. This is done for security so that the user does not accidentally delete the necessary files for Windows. It happens that you need to access the hidden content. In this case, it is possible to do.
There are many ways to show hidden files and folders. You can use both built-in Windows tools and third-party programs.
Show hidden files through the View tab
- Open the conductor with key combination Win + E.
2. Next, put a tick on "Hidden Elements"
After this procedure, hidden folders and files will be available to the user. Also, this method helps to see hidden files and folders on a portable medium.
Through Explorer (Windows 8, Windows 10)
There is another way through the conductor, how to show hidden files through the conductor
- Open "Conductor" One of the ways
- We go to the tab "View" and click on "Options" .
3. A window opens with different tabs. Open "View"
4. Go down and put a tick on "Show hidden folders, files, discs" . After Zhmame "Apply"
Show hidden folders and files through the control panel
- Go to B. "Control Panel" . We put a category "Small badges" And click on "Explorer parameters"
2. Make the same actions that in paragraph 3 (read above)
This utility is an excellent file manager. It not only helps to see hidden files, but also displays all the files. To take advantage of it, you need it download . Install and open the program.
- In order to show hidden files, you need to click on the top panel "Configuration" further press "Setup" .
2. In the window that opens, we click on "Field Content" . Right in the panel, put the ticks on "Show hidden files" и "Show system files" .
3. Save the changes.
On Windows there are many ways to show hidden files. They have different approaches and ways to implement, but they will all lead to one result. Subscribe to My Channel in Zen and put like!
How to show or hide hidden folders
Author Comhub. Views 3.7K. Published Updated
Hidden files are usually hidden by good reason - they are often very important files and hidden from viewing, which makes it difficult to change or delete them.
But what if you want to see these hidden files?
There are many good reasons for which you will need to make visible hidden files and folders in your search and views in the folder, but most of the time it is due to the fact that you are dealing with the Windows problem, and you need access to one of these important Files for editing or removal.
On the other hand, if hidden files are already visible, but you want to hide them instead, it's just a reverse action.
Fortunately, it is very easy to switch, show or hide hidden files and folders in Windows. This change is made through the control panel.
Specific steps associated with Windows setup to display or hide hidden files depend on which operating system you use:
How to show or hide hidden files and folders in Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Open the control panel. Click the Ctrl + R keys, enter Control and press Enter.Lo enter in search Control Panel .
- Switch viewing by Small badges.
- Open Explorer parameters (Windows 10) or Folder Settings (Windows 8/7).
- Go to the tab View.
- Scroll down to the point Hidden files, folders and discs.
- Choose which option you want to apply. Do not show hidden files, folders or discs. will hide files, folders and discs that have a hidden attribute. If you switch to Show hidden files, folders and discs Allows you to see hidden data.
- Click OK At the bottom of the window "Explorer Parameters "
- You can check if hidden files are hidden in Windows 10/8/7 by turning to the disk C: . If you not See the folder named ProgramData. Hidden files and folders are hidden from viewing.
A quick way to switch hidden folders in Windows 10
- Open the folder where you want to hide or show folders and files.
- In the top panel, click View.
- Menu will open, find item Hidden elements .
- Check the box if you want to hide folders or remove what to show.
How to show or hide hidden files and folders in Windows Vista
- Click the " Start" , and then " Control Panel" .
- Press Registration and personalization .Note: If you are watching Classic view Control panels, you will not see this link. Just open the icon " Folder properties" And go to K. Step 4. .
- Click links " Folders settings" .
- Click the " View " in the window " Folder properties" .
- В Additional settings: Section, Find hidden files and folder categories.
- Select the parameter you want to apply to Windows Vista. Do not show hidden files and folders. Will hide files and folders with the attribute hidden turned on. Show hidden files and folders Let you see hidden files and folders.
- Click OK. at the bottom of the window " Folder properties" .
- You can check whether hidden files are displayed in Windows Vista by turning to the disk. C: \ . If you see the folder ProgramData. You can view hidden files and folders. Note: Icons for hidden files and folders, slightly shaded. This is an easy way to separate hidden files and folders from your usual unlocked.
How to show or hide hidden files and folders in Windows XP
- Open " My computer" In the "Start" menu.
- Of Tools Select Menu Folder properties.
- Go to the " View " in the window " Folder properties" .
- В Additional settings: Text area, find hidden files and folder category. Note: Hidden files and folders The category should be available for viewing at the bottom. Additional settings menu: Text area without scrolling down. In the folder you will see two options.
- Under Hidden files and folders Categories, select the switch that relates to what you want to do. Do not show hidden files and folders. Will hide files and folders with a hidden attribute enabled. Show hidden files and folders that you will allow you to see hidden files and folders.
- Click OK. at the bottom of the window " Folder properties" .
- You can check whether hidden files are displayed by clicking on the folder. C: / Windows . If you see the number of folders, starting with $ Ntuninstallkb. You can view hidden files and folders, otherwise they are successfully hidden. Note: These $ Ntuninstallkb. The folder contains the information you need to delete the update from Microsoft. Although it is unlikely, you may not see these folders, but you can still properly configure hidden folders and files. It may be so if you have never installed any updates for your operating system.
In Windows 7/10 operating systems, it is possible to set the "hidden" attribute for folders and files, after which they stop displaying in the conductor, i.e. become "invisible." Usually this setting is used in the case when the user wants to hide some information from prying eyes. But this feature is also a built-in tool for ensuring the protection of the Windows system itself. Some of the so-called system folders that store important OS files are defaults are hidden so that novice users cannot damage their contents and thereby not disturbing the performance of the system. In this article, let's talk about how to display hidden folders and files in Windows 7/10 regardless of whether they are or not.
Enabling hidden folders
In the "seven" to display hidden folders and files go to the conductor, and then in the top menu, choose Service - folder parameters. If you have this menu not shown, then press the button Alt. And it will immediately appear.
Further in the folder parameters window that opens, go to the "View" tab and install the switch to the "Show hidden files, folders and wheels" in the Advanced Settings list. After that, save the settings using the "OK" button.
All, now you can see hidden folders and files. If you need to display Windows 7 system directories, you should remove a check mark next to the "Hide secure system files (recommended)" by pressing "Yes" in the warning message window.
Alternative way to get to the folder settings in Windows 7 is to use the "Control Panel" tool. We go into it through the Start menu, and then to the display mode "Minor Icons" by clicking on "folder parameters". Then we do everything in the same way as described above.
In the Windows 10 system, in order to enable the display of hidden folders and files, you need to go to the Explorer menu successively on the way. View - Parameters - Change folder and search options .
Next, everything is done by analogy with Windows 7 - on the View tab, the "Show hidden files, folders and discs" option is selected.
Access to the folder display settings can be obtained via the "Control Panel". We open it, and then go to the "Explorer Parameters" section.
Here we act on the already known scheme.
Using the Windows Storer
And in Windows 7, and in Windows 10, quickly go to the folder settings allows the starting line of the Start menu. In "Seven", it is enough just to enter the "folder parameters" request, in the "dozen" - "Explorer parameters".
How to make a hidden folder ordinary
If you managed to find a hidden folder and want it normally to be displayed, regardless of the settings, you can remove the attribute "hidden". To do this, click on the icon right-click and go to the "Properties". Here we remove the corresponding checkbox in the "Attributes" section and save the parameters with the "OK" button.
Now the folder will always be shown in the conductor.
By default, not all files and folders are displayed in all versions of Windows in the explorer. (for many this discovery) ! In some cases, such "invisible" files can take out quite a lot of free disk space (than they cause serious user resentment).
Actually, in this low note I will show some simple ways, how to find and view all files located even in Windows system folders.
By the way, if you "disappears" the place on the drive (and you do not know where) I recommend analyzing it with the help of specials. Utilities Scanner. (reference to the instruction is currently below) .
What is my hard disk (or where the free place is lost on the HDD) [analysis of the disk] - https://ocomp.info/chem-zabit-moy-zhestkiy-domk.html.
Ways to view hidden files and folders
Method 1: using the conductor settings
As already said above, by default, Windows Explorer does not display files (folders), in the attributes of which it is specified that it is hidden or systemic. This is done for the purpose of security - so that the user does not delete the file required by the system.
How to enable the display of hidden files in the conductor:
- Press the combination of buttons Win + R. (A "Run" window appear) ;
- Enter the command Control Folders. And click OK. (Explorer settings will open) ;
Explorer parameters - Win + R / as an example
Alternative option : go to any of the folders on the hard disk, then open the tab "View" and click on the tab "Options" . Actual for Windows 10.
View - Parameters (Explorer, Windows 10)
- Next, go to the section "View" and remove the checkboxes from the points "Hide secure system files ..." , "Hide extensions for registered types ...", and move the slider to mode "Show hidden files and folders" (example on the screen below) .
Explorer parameters - everything will be visible now!
- As an example, I bring the open disk "C: \": Please note that some folders look paler than others - this is hidden folders.
Now the system disk displays hidden folders
Method 2: With the help of specials. Soft
It is much more convenient to be managed with a large number of files using file managers (or as they are also called. Commanders ). Some of the most famous Total Commander and Far Manager.
Official website: https://www.ghisler.com/
In this program, it is enough to press only one button on the toolbar - "Hidden Elements" (See for example below).
Hidden Elements / Total Commander
If you have an older version of the program - open the settings and in the section "Panel content" Install two ticks: "Show hidden files" и "Show system files" . Example on the screen below.
Show hidden and system files
Please note that hidden folders in Total Commander are marked with exclamation signs.
All files are displayed
Official website: https://www.farmanager.com/download.php?l=ru
This Commander looks somewhat old-fashioned (with a blue window 👀), but in functionality will not give way to many "painted" new items. I note that after launching the Far Manager program, it automatically and immediately shows absolutely all files and folders (and hidden, and ordinary).
Note : If you have never previously worked with FAR, then I will say as a reference that to select the disk, use the Alt + F1 combination.
Window Far Manager
Method 3: Hidden File (folder) can be made ordinary
Why is one file refers to hidden, but the other is not? All business B. Attributes (Metadata describing the file. They can be either installed or not) . Those. In hidden files, certain attributes are given, which are missing. Thus, changing the attributes from the file - it can be done from the hidden usual.
I will consider below a couple of ways to do this.
The easiest option : Right in the Explorer open the properties of the file (click right-click on it) .
Next in the tab "Are common" Remove the tick from the attribute "Hidden" and click OK. In general, to work with attributes, a regular conductor is not very suitable (I recommend using still Far Manager) .
Remove the hidden attribute
Second way : Start Far Manager and open the desired disk / directory (use the Alt + F1 button combination to select the disk).
Alt + F1 - Calling a menu with a choice of disk (FAR)
Next, set the cursor to the selected file. (If you need to highlight all files in the folder - press the SHIFT + END and SHIFT + HOME combination) and press the Ctrl + A combination. The properties window should appear in which you can either install / or remove the attribute (see screen below - pay attention to the cross in front of "Hidden") .
If you want to remove all attributes - press the R, A, H, S, C, E button sequentially (you will see that the crosss opposite all items will be removed). Next click on "SET" (Install / Set) .
How to remove the attribute "hidden" in Far Manager / Clicable
After the operation done - files / folders will be visible in any of the programs (in the same conductor).
In general, this is all ...
- Video installation Excellent software to start creating their own videos (all actions go down the steps!). Video will make even newcomer!
- Computer accelerator The program for cleaning Windows from garbage (speeds up the system, deletes the garbage, optimizes the registry).
Hello. Sometimes we ourselves make mistakes or someone helps us in this, and maybe deliberately hide information on a computer from outsiders. But in the end, the following incident may happen: a file or directory is not displayed, and access to it "Oh as needed". Keep the instructions how to open hidden folders in Windows 7/8/10 on your computer.
How to hide the folder on the computer?
I will start with the methods that will help hide information. They are very simple and take away just a few minutes.
Use the built-in system tools.
This option allows you to achieve a goal without the use of third-party applications, which I told in detail in one of the previous publications.
How to make an invisible folder on the desktop? You will need only a few steps:
- On the directory or file with the right mouse button (hereinafter referred to as PCM) to display the menu;
- Select "Properties";
- On the General tab, celebrate the "Hidden" attribute checkbox;
- We save the changes by clicking on "OK":
After that, the element will become translucent, which indicates the correctness of our actions. But why did he not completely disappear? Most likely, the "Show hidden ..." option is enabled in the display settings.
To disable this mode, follow these steps:
- We go to the control panel (through the Start menu):
- In Windows 10, it is easier to use the search for this purpose:
- Now you need to set the "minor icons" view and go to the folder parameters. Then select the "View" tab and turn its content until I see the desired item - " NOT Show ... ". Here is a detailed screen:
Well, the hidden element disappeared? Congratulations, you coped!
How to open hidden folders in windows 7 / 8/10
It happens that the situation is reverse - you need to find a directory that was previously hidden or watch hidden files. But how to do that? Everything is extremely simple. If you carefully read the previous instructions, you can logically find a solution.
- First you need to turn on the display of hidden content. As an example, I recommend to look at the screen, which is located above. Do all the same, just select "Show ...", and do not forget to save the changes by clicking on "OK".
- Now you have to see your folder, but it will be translucent. To return her normal view, go to the properties and remove the attribute "Hidden":
That's all! And now I propose to consider another way that you want to taste to lover console. He is also very simple!
Use the command line
- Or simply click on the PCM on the "Start" button and select the desired item from the menu:
- Next, enter the command in the console (Black Window):
ATTRIB + H "Path to Element"
- Instead of the address, specify the full path without quotes, which can be copied from the row in the Explorer window using the "Ctrl + C" combination or by calling the context menu by clicking PCM:
- We return to the console and prescribe the command completely or simply insert the copied path using the combination "Ctrl + V" or click PCM:
- To start the command, you need to press the "ENTER" key;
- That's all! And if you want to return the visibility to the item, you should register a little other command:
ATTRIB -H "path to item"
I am sure that with the topic, how to open hidden folders in Windows 7 / 8/10 or hide folders, files you figured out, because it is quite simple. If questions remained - do not hesitate to ask them in the comments.